Basic Handling, Evaluation and Transport
- Introduction to the Marine Mammal Conservancy and brief history of the Stranding Network
- Brief overview of the laws and regulations protecting marine mammals
- Basic anatomy of cetaceans and terminology
- How to properly approach and hold a cetacean
- Hands-on training using a dolphin replica
- How to assist with a basic transport
- Basic rules during a stranding or rehabilitation event
- Volunteer equipment description and check list
- Basic medical evaluation of a cetacean
- Ethograms (the behaviorial study of cetaceans during a rehabilitation event)
- Activity Logs (the documentation of daily activities and scientific data collected during a rehabilitation event)
- Chain of Command
- Job descriptions and duties during a stranding event
Registration: To register for this course, please send your name, email, address, and telephone number to: email@example.com or call us at (305) 451-4774.
Course Fee: All MMC courses are free for existing and new volunteers, however a $5.00 donation is suggested to help us cover the cost of course materials.
Please click here to view our upcoming course schedule.