Fun Facts About Dolphins and Whales
1. The real name for a killer whale is an orca, and orcas are really dolphins, not whales! They are the largest member of the dolphin family.
2. Atlantic bottlenose dolphins have approximately 80 to 100 cone-shaped teeth! They are born with one set of teeth they have for their whole lives. If one falls out, it is never replaced.
3. Dolphins and whales investigate their surroundings by using sound. They use a form of sonar called echolocation, which makes “pictures” of sounds in their brains!
4. Dolphins, whales, and porpoises do not chew their food. They swallow it whole!
5. A female dolphin, whale or porpoise is called a “cow”. A male dolphin, whale or porpoise is called
a “bull”. A baby is called a “calf”.
6. A group of dolphins is called a pod. Pods can be as small as two dolphins and as large as hundreds of dolphins.
7. Dolphins and whales have a fin on their back called a dorsal fin.
8. The world’s largest whale is the blue whale, which can grow to 100 feet longand weigh up to 300,000 pounds!
Their tongues can weigh as much as an elephant! Blue whales are the largest mammals on Earth.
9. Dolphins, porpoises, and whales are called cetaceans. A cetacean is a creature belonging to a group of water
living mammals that have no hind limbs and a blowhole for breathing. They are not fish!
10. Cetaceans get most of the water they need from the food they eat! Most cetaceans eat fish, squid, crabs, octopus,
11. A long, long time ago, dolphins used to be land animals!
12. All of the fun squeaks and whistles you hear a dolphin make actually come out of their blowholes! They do not make sounds with their mouths.
13. Manatees are also marine mammals. They are vegetarians and only eat marine plants, such as seagrasses, algae, and mangrove leaves.
14.Manatees are distant relatives of elephants.
15. If you see a marine mammal in trouble, call the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission (1-888-404-FWCC) or the local police department.
16. Never feed wild dolphins, manatees, or other marine mammals. The food you feed them could be harmful to them. It is also against the law.
17. It is also against the law to give water to manatees out of a hose.
18. Marine Mammal Conservancy is an all volunteer organization that rescues marine mammals in trouble.
You can download a printable version of our Fun Facts about Dolphins and Whales here!
Protecting Marine Mammals and their Habitats through Research, Rescue,
Please remember to never feed wild dolphins, manatees, or other marine mammals. The food you feed them could be harmful to them. It is also against the law.
Rehabilitation, Release and Education
MMC is an All Volunteer, Non-Profit 501(c)(3) Organization that Relies on Donations to Fund its Rescue and Rehabilitation Activities. Visit us at www.marinemammalconservancy.org to learn how you can help.